Thursday, April 12, 2012

Semi-Dirtay Racing or "SDR" (Not San Diego)

Some wisecracker once told me (and I'm sure some of you have heard this):  
"If you ain't cheatin', you ain't trying. "

Cheating goes on in all forms of sport and specifically in motorsports, it can and does happen. It's just up to the rules-makers to catch and enforce the rules imposed. 

Which leads me to this argument:  I do not like it when a driver competes in a car other than his own in autocross. Why?

Well, what I am getting at is that there was a certain driver at the last event who competes in my class who has his own car (that he has been racing for the past couple of years) who did this such thing: On race day, he found another guy who drives the exact same car but the difference was it had practically NEW Star Spec tires.  So why the switch? 

Engine blew? Broken upper or lower A-Arm?  Nope and nope- he just wanted to try and win.


- Mr. Sheen's Winning?-

Now it's perfectly fine to want to win and what he did was totally within the rules and nothing is against it BUT to me, I feel it is dishonorable and a real sucky thing to do. Whatever happened to using your own car to win?   Before you start spouting fire at me, hear me out...

This guy's car had no "mechanical issues" i.e. engine failure or suspension failure AT ALL. In fact, his car was running perfectly fine at practice the previous day before Sunday's competition runs. 

Only thing was, he was spinning like a top run after run which would lead one to believe that either he's not such a good driver OR his tires weren't gripping well.

So why did he make the switch?  I can list many reasons: Insecurity, infidelity, inconfidence, dishonesty, dishonorable, etc etc etc.... he did in fact state that his Hankooks were "done."  SO, that basically gives all the reason in the world of why he did it.

Whatever the case, my belief is that at this amateur/grassroots level of motorsport you should compete in your own car, barring any mechanical issues.  If your engine blows up or something broke and you can't fix it in time before competition starts, then sorry but you're SOL.

This ain't Formula1 or ALMS where you have a backup car or your teammate's car to pilfer if you're the #1 driver. Heck, I could've done the same thing this guy did like "Uh, I'm not fast enough SO I'll just go grab my friend's Ferrari and lay the smack down...."

Nope, not me...not ever.  Long as my car can run fine, I'm driving it. 

And the Bottom line:

Don't BAIL on running your car UNLESS you REALLY have to. Having shitty, worn-out tires DOES NOT count because that's YOUR fault for not using new tires for competition.

So to that guy who used another car to compete with despite his own car being PERFECTLY fine:

DON'T BE A DICK: DRIVE AND COMPETE WITH YOUR OWN CAR.

Thank you, end of rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment